Early Music America recognizes that the future of early music rests in the hands of today’s young performers and the institutions that shape them. The Young Performers Festival brings together students and ensembles from colleges, universities and conservatories throughout North America to perform a series of concerts.
This year, Early Music America will select 6-8 ensembles to perform as part of its Young Performers Festival from June 8-12, 2015 in Boston, Massachusetts during the Boston Early Music Festival. EMA will cover the cost of the venue rental for the Festival and will publicize the Festival concerts through its newsletter, website, and magazine, among other things.
1) Applicants must be directors of college or university early music ensembles from schools in the US or Canada. Although the term “early music” is used in different ways at different institutions, for the purposes of this Festival, it is used to denote an ensemble that fits the following criteria:
-The ensemble devotes its attention primarily to music before ca. 1750.
-The ensemble gives attention to matters of historical performance.
-Where instrumental performance is involved, the ensemble performs on period instruments OR is working towards the goal of using a period-instrument based group.
2) The majority of participants must be students enrolled in a degree program at the ensemble’s home institution. The ensemble may include non-student community participants and/or faculty members as well, as long as they are less than one-third the members in the ensemble.
3) Either the director of the ensemble or the school must be a member of EMA.
Deadline has been extended to December 12, 2014.
A panel of 3 judges will select the ensembles for the Festival. These judges, selected by EMA, but not members of the EMA board or persons affiliated with any of the institutions applying for the Festival, will judge the ensembles anonymously. Selections are made based on the strength of the application and the performance quality of the recordings. Issues including but not limited to need, feasibility of project and creativity will also be considered. Preference for the Festival will be given to ensembles that have not previously been selected.
Those selected for the Festival will be notified by January 16, 2015, at the latest.
- A title and brief description of the Festival performance to be funded
- Number of students in the ensemble
- Number of community members in the ensemble
- A brief description of the activities of the early music ensemble and its place within its institution
- Three recent concert programs (PDFs)
- A recording of the ensemble from live performances, no longer than 30 minutes in length. The recorded examples need not feature the exact same performers (it is assumed that student ensembles change somewhat in their membership from year to year) or the same proposed program, but a substantial number of the performers should be the same, and the performance should represent the level and quality of performance that could be expected. MP3 files, or links to YouTube or other sites are acceptable.
- A list of pieces submitted in recording
To access the Young Performers Festival application via JotForm, please click here.
All ensembles must submit an application to be selected for the Young Performers Festival. Ensembles applying for the Festival are eligible for a YPF Travel Grant. EMA awards YPF Travel Grants of $1,000 each to a small number of ensembles selected for the Festival. Click here for more information about YPF Travel Grants.